The people of Knox Waterdown welcome the opportunity to use their resources and talents to help the less fortunate in our neighbourhood, our country and the world as directed by our Lord (James 2:14-26).
Through the Ministry and Outreach Team, the congregation of Knox makes a difference by regularly supporting the work of:
- Presbyterian World Service & Development, which supports targeted projects around the world
- Inner City Ministries (Hamilton) with children’s summer camp supplies and resources, and in the Fall with the Mitten Tree (including scarves, hats etc)
- Wesley Urban Ministries (Hamilton) with socks for children and adults in Winter
- Flamborough Food Bank with on-going donations of food and money (especially on Communion Sundays), support for a family and senior at Christmas and back-to-school supplies
- Save the Mothers (Uganda) with a Mothers Day project
- IN (International Needs) Network supporting children in school in Uganda
- Drummond House, a local women’s and children’s shelter, with collections of winter clothing
- A major Christmas appeal each year for a selected international, national or local need. Recently we have donated to Youth Unlimited (Waterdown), Save the Mothers (Uganda), Bicycles for Missionaries (Malawi) and others
- Presbyterians Sharing, the national church fund that supports the overall mission and ministry of The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Mission Information Sundays, in which a guest speaks about a particular project
- And by contributing to emergency relief for disasters such as the SE Asian tsunami, the Haitian earthquake and the Goderich tornado
Members of Knox meet regularly to support:
- The Gleaners, who produce a dried soup mix that is shipped around the world for relief and development, powered by volunteers who trim, dice, dry and package the vegetables
- Grace Haven, making and providing layettes for young mothers-to-be
- Kairos Prison Ministry, bringing Christ’s love and forgiveness to the incarcerated, their families and those who work with them
We collect items for causes (contact the Church Office for information)
- Used stamps for Mrs. G Ministries - a ministry that sells them to help with the cost of mailing Bible stories to the children in Africa, India, etc. who ask for them.
- Used greeting cards to help a local day care group
- Used eyeglasses to be distributed where needed by Medical Ministry International
- Pop can tabs to help purchase wheelchairs through the Milton Harley Owners Group (HOG) 1034 have been purchased through this program so far.
Members of the Knox congregation are involved with many individual ministry opportunities including:
- Cancer Society (drivers)
- International Needs network, by sponsoring over 30 children’s schooling in Uganda
- Habitat for Humanity
- Meals on Wheels
- Red Cross
We reach out to the local community to share the Good News and to invite people into the Knox community (Matthew 28:16-20).
- various information drives in areas of Waterdown and Aldershot
- invitations to the Knox Community Breakfast each 2nd and 3rd Saturday morning of the month